Nickola Kozlevo

General Information
 
ROMACT Cycle: 
Closed
Mayor of the Municipality: 
Eshref Veli Redzheb
Contact Person within the Municipality: 
Tanya Hristova, expert, Projects and Programs Department
Facilitators: 
Kamen Makaveev
Total population: 
6 100
Source: 
Census 2011
Roma living in the Municipality: 
3 000
Description of the Municipality: 

*Disclaimer: The information and views set out in this page do not necessarily reflect the official opinion of the Council of Europe and/or the European Commission. Neither the Council of Europe, the European Commission nor any person acting on their behalf may be held responsible for the use which may be made of the information contained therein.

The municipality of Nikola Kozlevo is located in the North-East part of Bulgaria, in Shumen Administrative Region. The municipality includes 11 settlements (Vekilski, Valnari, Karavelovo, Krasen Dol, Kriva reka, Pet mogili, Ruzhitsa, Harsovo, Tzani Ginchevo, Tsarkvitsa and Nikola Kozlevo), Nikola Kozlevo being the administrative center of the municipality.
 
The Roma population numbers around 3.000 persons and is concentrated in the villages of Nikola Kozlevo, Valnari, Tsani Ginchevo and Tsarkvitsa. 85% of the houses are in a good condition - a big number of Roma work abroad and they come back and invest to improve their housing and living conditions. The remaining 15% of the Roma in the municipality live in illegal shacks with no sanitation. The share of the unemployed persons is big, as well as the number of the Roma having no health insurances. Early marriages are still a common case here. There are still students dropping out from school due to financial reasons or due to lack of interest and motivation.
 

The ROMACT Process

Nikola Kozlevo municipality joined the ROMACT program in October 2015. The Joint ACTION Plan (Municipal Action Plan for Roma Inclusion) was updated and adopted on 29 November 2016 with Decision of the Municipal Council of Nikola Kozlevo. On 6 December 2016, the Taskforce for Roma inclusion was created.
 
The most stringent problems identified by the Community Action Group are: 
 

Low attendance rate in schools
Lack of capacity of the teachers to work in multilingual environment
Lack of psychologists in schools
Poor health mediator interventions
Lack of enough nurses in medical offices
Lack of emergency medical help

Several trainings were provided:
 
CAG was coached/ trained on:
•Advocacy
•Public speech and communication
•Local self-governance
•Process of preparation of the municipal budget
•Procedures for citizen participation in the work of the Municipal Council and municipal administration.
•Monitoring the implementation of the MAPRI

Local authorities were coached/ trained on:
•Identifying available funding opportunities and how to  linking them with priorities;
•Inclusive Roma Policies and Project Planning under EU Operational  Programmes;
•Setting up the Municipal Taskforce;
•Legal solutions to reduce illegal housing ;
•Identifying ways to integrate the priorities of MAPRI  in the Municipal Development Plan (MDP)
•Monitoring the implementation of the MAPRI

Taskforce was coached/ trained on:
• Monitoring and evaluation and implementation of the JAP and policy-making on Roma issues

In terms of implementation of the MAPRI, the following activities were implemented:
• Fees cancellation for all children attending kindergarten;
• Free of charge transportation for secondary school students from the villages to the municipal centre;
• Implementation in all schools of “The future today – education and integration” approved under the OP ‘Education’, procedure BG 05M2OP001-3.002 ‘Educational integration for ethnic minority children and children of refugees seeking protection’, including for instance the appointment of five school mediators
• Appointment of a Municipal specialist on “Ethnic and Integration issues and social activities”

One project was successfully submitted with ROMACT support:
• "Nikola Kozlevo Municipality for Equal Access to Socio-Economic Integration and Education" submitted under Integrated procedure of OPHRD & OPSESG - Approved - Budget: 324 468 €

 
 

Timeline Points

12 Nov 2015
STEP 1- BECOMING COMMITTED- Agreement Letter to implement ROMACT signed by the Mayor
20 Nov 2015
STEP 2- AGREEING ON NEEDS&PLANS- First Joint Meeting between the CAG and the Local Authorities
29 Nov 2016
STEP 3- TRANSLATING PRIORITIES INTO MEASURES&PROJECTS- Adoption of the Joint Action Plan by the Local Council
6 Dec 2016
Creation of Taskforce
15 Feb 2017
STEP 4- FUNDING, IMPLEMENTING, MONITORING- Recruitment of a Municipal Specialist for “Ethnic and Integrational issues and social activities”
1 Mar 2017
STEP 4- FUNDING, IMPLEMENTING, MONITORING- Approval of ESIF funded "Concept of municipality Nikola Kozlevo for social inclusion of vulnerable groups"
29 Sep 2017
End of ROMACT Process
Disclaimer - © Council of Europe 2015 - © photo credit